weird hair

1.   Ancient Egyptians were the first to remove unwanted body hair

2.    There five million hair follicles on human body

3.    In Italy during the Renaissance, women dyed their hair blonde using horse urine,

       while ancient Romans used pigeon dung

4.    Each strand of hair contains 14 elements, including traces of gold

5.    It takes 13 days for white or gray hair to show after shock, stress, or aging

6.    75% of American women dye their hair

7.    Hair contains information on everything that has passed through your bloodstream,

       including minerals and drugs

8.    If left uncut, the average length of hair growth on the human body in one year is 10 feet

9.    World’s record for longest hair:  Female, 18′ 5 1/2″ after 30 years of growth;  Male 22′ 3 “

10.  Number of hairs on the head by color — blondes: 146,000, black 110,000, brown 100,000, red 86,000

11.  Only 1.5% of world’s population are redheads, and the U.S. has the largest number at 2%

12.   Hair is the second fastest tissue grown on the body after bone marrow

13.  Asian hair follicles are round, African is flat, and European is oval

14.  Gender cannot be identified by strands of hair

15.   40-150 strands of hair are shed off the head daily, unless you are bald

16.   A full head of hair could support the weight equivalent to two elephants

17.  A single hair has the lifespan of about 5 years

18.  At any given time, 90% of the hairs in your scalp are growing, while the other 10 percent are resting

19.  Balding only begins to become visible once you’ve lost over 50 percent of the hairs from your scalp

20.  Goosebumps from cold or fear are the result of hair follicles contracting,

       causing the hair and surrounding skin to bunch up

21.  As soon as a hair is plucked from its follicle, a new one begins to grow

22.  All hair is dead, with the exception of the hair that’s still inside the epidermis of your scalp

23. Hair is made up mostly of keratin, the same protein animals’ horns, hooves, claws,

      feathers, and beaks are made of

24. When wet, a healthy strand of hair can stretch an additional 30% of its original length

25. Hair grows slightly faster in warm weather, because heat stimulates circulation

      and encourages hair growth